Skip to main content
Dartmouth-Hitchcock logo
Taking Care In This Section

FAQ: Employee Assistance Program

This page contains frequently asked questions about the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

What is the EAP?

EAP professionals can help you with:

  • Relationship problems (family, marital, personal and work)
  • Stress, sleep      
  • Personal health/wellness issues
  • Substance abuse
  • Work-related problems
  • Obtaining referrals for a variety of other needs (e.g., legal, financial, medical, elder and/or child care)

In addition EAP is:

If two employees come in for couples counseling, how does that work vis-à-vis the EAP visits?

Each employee is eligible for up to six visits at the EAP. The number of visits is determined on a case-by-case basis with the EAP professional within the parameters of "up to six visits per issue per year."

What happens after the EAP visits?

The EAP professional can provide you with a referral to other resources at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, or in the community.

Do I have to use personal time to come to EAP?

  • Appointments are available during lunch time, and before and after most shifts to accommodate your work schedule.
  • Some departments/sections/locations allow visits during work hours when appropriate (check with your supervisor).

Does the information I share with EAP go into my medical/employment record?

No. Nothing leaves our office without a signed authorization for release of information (unless, as required by law and/or professional code of ethics, there are serious concerns about safety).

I’m a new employee. Is there a waiting period before I can use EAP?

No. There is no waiting period before you can use EAP services.

I’m a part-time employee. May I use EAP?

Yes.  All employees, regardless of how many hours worked, may utilize the EAP.

Do you have an attorney on staff?

No. We maintain a list of attorneys and can offer you referral. Or you may schedule a free 30-minute legal phone consultation at KGA EAP by calling (800) 648-9557.

Do you offer financial assistance?

If you are looking for financial help in a crisis, you may apply for assistance through the Hitchcock Employee Loan Program (H.E.L.P.) at 653-1400. We may be able to suggest other financial resources at D-H or in the community. In addition, KGA EAP also offers a 90-minute financial phone consultation; please call (800) 648-9557.

My mom/dad lives in another state and needs some eldercare assistance. Can EAP help me with this?

The best thing to do would be to contact KGA EAP at (800) 648-9557 for resources (in an area outside of the Upper Valley).

Contact Us